reflections

The older I get, the more I understand why my mum would throw plates. Now, I know that's not acceptable behavior, and I know she's bipolar, and I know throwing things is never the answer. Maybe this is a sign that I'm sliding toward insanity, or maybe I'm just being honest--don't we all want to throw things sometimes?--but I understand. That stack of Fiestaware plates, to her, wasn't just a stack of plates: it was proof that she wasn't just a housewife who lived in a tiny cinderblock house with a leaky roof and five children, but a person with taste and appreciation of beauty. Those plates were proof that she was more than the sum of her parts, that there was a life beyond the obvious, that someday she would have a house and lifestyle to go with her dreams. So when one broke, the frustration was too much.
Or maybe she just liked to throw china.

Comments

Lauryl Lane said…
yeah, i get it too. sometimes we really just need to throw stuff, though. i know people who would never EVER throw anything, but i'm from a volatile family with bad tempers, and throwing something now and again, or crushing something, or just breaking something, can be such a relief. ;)
Anonymous said…
I get it too. I have long planned a trip to charity shops to get a ton of cheap plates just for that reason. Plus, as venting anger goes, it's a relatively benign form. But very satisfying.
Anonymous said…
I've done this twice when I was experiencing immense stress. I think not wanting to do it might be the stranger thing.
Grace said…
Yes, I get that, too. Though every once and again, I find myself needing to smash something. Not in a long while, thank goodness.
fleur_delicious said…
I find it rather UNsatisfying myself - but I think that's because, even when I really want to break something, I never do. I throw. But I throw non-breakables. On carpet. With a good loud scream and probably a blue streak of curses, but still. It's just not fully satisfying.

someday I'll have to try the real thing.

Popular Posts