a good reason to hit the end-of-season sales

Because there is cheap stuff. Around here, at least, we still have a few weeks of being able to wear summer clothes, so I love picking things up on deep discount, wearing them once, packing them away, and having grand surprises when I unpack next spring. I got a swimsuit for $5 at Marshall's today, and it's completely adorable. (A girl can never have too many swimsuits, right?)
Today a friend posted this link, which is a rather lengthy "do" and "don't" list of what to wear after labor day. While I really love some of the advice--white accessories look less summery with tan stitching--much of what she says seems so arbitrary. Just because the calender says "the day after labor Day" it doesn't automatically make the thermometer drop twenty degrees! If you live somewhere it's still ninety degrees, I don't really see the point of packing up your summer clothing *right now.* Another example:
It’s pretty hard to make aqua, coral or candy pink look right in September.

Um, unless you're an avid wearer of aqua, coral, or candy pink! Seriously--I love wearing candy pink with deep red, and think it's perfectly seasonally appropriate when combined with my chocolate brown cordouroy skirt. But then, I'm less about rules than about what works for you. So to that post I pretty much say "whatever." If it works for you, do it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
most of her suggestions are completely arbitrary, not to mention antiquated and more than a little judgemental.

such rules were meant to be broken, albeit with some panache and thought.

to say that one should NEVER do this or that fashionwise is too blanket of a statement to make...in my mind.

one major consideration, however, might be the weather, NOT the color of an item. if the weather is cold/hot, it makes sense to dress appropriately for that given weather.

hah! sorry i wrote a novel. i just generally disdain that sort of fashion rule-making! :P

Popular Posts