self-portrait sunday, goodbye summer

project 52, week 21

project 52, week 21
happy labor day.
I'm always sad when labor day rolls around, because it means the end of summer, and I love summer with a fiercely irrational passion.
It's not just because of the hot weather, although I love that. I've grown up here on the Eastern Shore, so the humidity and mugginess pressing down on you just feel natural to me, somehow. When I moved to Ohio I was alarmed by how dry the air is during the winter, and I couldn't get used to static-y hair.
It's not just because of the beach, although I love that to. Despite years when I didn't go to the beach because I was embarrassed to be seen in public wearing a swimsuit covered by knee-length shorts and a tshirt (yes, that's how we swam), and subsequent years when I was just ashamed of the way I looked, period, I've always loved the beach. The sound of the waves makes me relax, and the salt air makes my skin happy.
No, the main reason I love summer is because of the nights. For some reason, I've no idea why, sitting outside on a summer night, watching the lightening bugs begin to wink, enjoying the relief from the heat of the day, well, right then I feel like infinite possibilities await me. The world lies before me, and if I want to reach the moon all I have to is work reallyreally hard.
When cold weather comes I begin to fold in on myself, wanting to hibernate, wanting to sleep away the long nights and short days. In winter, I dream only of seeing summer again.

Comments

Johanna said…
you're halfway! Boo to summer ending. I hate it too.

Popular Posts