she can bake a cherry pie, charming billy

she can bake a cherry pie, billy boy billy boy! I must confess that I've never made a fresh cherry pie before. Every other experience has involved cans of that koolaid-colored slime commonly referred to as "cherry pie filling." Consequently, I've always hated cherry pie. However, my husband's professed love for this treat, as well as a weighty tome entitled "Pie" inspired me to give it a chance. I modified the recipie somewhat from what was given in the book--the main thing I need was proportion of fruit to cornstarch; I wanted a pie that was tangy and held it's shape without becoming gooey. Happily, that's what I got.
Sweet Cherry Crumb Pie
Dough for a single crust pie (I used part whole-wheat flour, and it had a suprisingly lovely flavor.)
5 cups sweet cherries, stemmed and pitted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Line pie pan with dough and flute edge. Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
Put cherries in a large bowl. Mix together cornstarch and sugar, then into the fruit. Add the lemon juice and vanilla. Stir together and set aside for 10 minutes.
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Pour fruit into chilled crust. Bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, make crumb topping.

3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup shortening or butter

Mix dry ingredients and cut in shortening. Spread on top of partially baked pie (there will be plenty), then return the pie to the oven, making sure to rotate it. Bake for 25 more minutes, or until juices bubble thickly around the edges. Let cool for 2 hours before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts