review: Doubt

So it's been a couple of weeks since I saw this, but I wanted to share my thoughts. Contrary to the impression I may have given with my comments on the Oscar nominations, I didn't hate this movie at all. In fact, it's quite thought-provoking and well-made. I'm just don't think it's Oscar-worthy. But here's what I thought.
Honestly, when we left the theater, le husband and I were both deep in thought and didn't say anything for several minutes. The film is based on a play, and is directed by the same guy who wrote and directed the original stage production. (Interestingly, his only previously directed film is Joe vs. The Volcano: the first Hanks/Ryan pairing, and a huge favorite of mine.) Anyway, the film is well-written, and surprisingly riveting, considering that the vast majority of it is exposition. There are no clear conclusions, and not a cut and dried ending. I like that. Hoffman is good, and a very sympathetic protagonist.
The thing I most disliked was Meryl Streep's portrayal of the role. I don't think she over-acted (I don't remember thinking that), but I do know that she periodically dropped into a highly annoying caricuture of a New York accent which she just as swiftly left behind. I found that highly distracting.
Amy Adams is acceptable in this role, but I don't think she brings anything suprising to it. I also don't think she really played out of character in this one--we're getting used to her portraying the joyous innocent against the background of cynicism and suspicion.
Viola Davis definitely deserves her nod for Best Supporting Actress. She has maybe eight minutes of screen time, and she walks onscreen and without warning steals the emotional heart of the story, compelling you to watch her and understand her very difficult choice.
For the most part I loved cinematography in this film; there were a few shots set at an angle that I though felt contrived, but there were breathtaking images contrasting the narrow lives of the nuns with the decadence of the priests.
Overall, this is a film well worth watching. I don't think it will go down in history as groundbreaking, but it's good.

Comments

Lauryl Lane said…
hmmm, interesting! i look forward to seeing it!

Popular Posts