the big reveal

Since I now know that it has been received, I can finally post pictures of the very first quilt that I managed to complete. I made it for le husband's cousin and his wife; they had their first baby at the end of January. The adorable new mum is a girl after my own heart--her baby shower was themed around books!--so I knew she'd get a kick out of pretty much anything handmade. 

I started the quilt before the baby was born, and got the concept from this blog post. I used material that I had on hand, and since we didn't know if it was going to be a boy or a girl, I started with the gray front fabric and red bubbly back fabric, figuring those colors would work for either gender. Then I found scraps of fabric to use for the bright colored squares. I just love the little pink nursery characters. The blue flowers and red print are bits of vintage fabric, and the yellow is just something I had on hand. 

About 1/3 of the way through the piecing of the quilt, my sewing machine went kaput. So I finished the piecing by hand. After I got the whole thing sewed together, my sister did the quilting while we watched the super bowl, and I took it up to my grandmother's, where she used the vintage boat print and showed me how to do the binding. 

So basically, this was very much a family affair. and now it's with another family member, and I'm actually looking forward to starting my next quilting project.

Comments

Marisa said…
The pictures don't do it justice! :) It is SO lovely -- the bits of vintage fabric are amazing. I can't believe you started on it before Isaac was born! I could tell there was a little hand-stitching done on it, which makes it even more personal and wonderful. Thank you so much! (I'll let you know when I put pictures up of him all snuggled up in it!)
Lauryl Lane said…
That's lovely! Way to go, Laura! I am actually working on my first baby quilt, for my new niece. I'm taking my sweet time with it... she'll be lucky if she gets it before she's a toddler. Anyway, your post is inspiring and perhaps I might actually work on my own quilt tomorrow. ;)
Molly said…
So beautiful! What a wonderful gift!
Porkchop said…
I'm begging her to make more, because I find handquilting to be a very fun thing to do while watching tv. (Or being forced to watch sports.)

And Marisa is right, the pictures don't do it justice--it isn't nearly so grey or soviet looking in real life. IRL, the grey is very soft and pretty.

Popular Posts