things I've been reading
Some fun, some serious. Enjoy!
- Very solid advice for someone who wants to pull themselves up out of a minimum wage job with no college degree. (Can we just pause and discuss how awesome Bullish is? Love her.)
- Tavi writes beautifully about the work of being a woman:
I guess for me it’s a matter of picturing my life’s work without confidence/stamina/GUSTO, and then picturing it WITH, and the WITH one is much more full and real and plentiful. Think of how many incompetent assholes are successful just because they are confident!
- If white characters were described the way people of color are in literature.
- Drawings on Starbucks cups.
- If you have tons of reading time, here's the whole entire story of WordPerfect. (Remember WordPerfect?)
- How to be polite.
Politeness buys you time. It leaves doors open. I’ve met so many people whom, if I had trusted my first impressions, I would never have wanted to meet again. And yet — many of them are now great friends.
- Recipes that I probably need to try: ten fall dinners; roasted spiced chickpeas; pumpkin coffee cake.