inspiration from couture

Now understand that haute couture is not necessarily supposed to be either wearable or affordable. Its sole reason for existence is beauty. The Spring 2007 shows happened recently (I think it was last week) so I flipped through the image galleries looking for ideas, inspiration, and just plain pretty clothes. You can click on any of the images for larger versions.
chanel
Chanel: Overall I was underwhelmed with this collection, but then, I've not been a huge fan of Lagerfield's work lately. I especially hated the extremely short skirts; with several of the outfits you could see the crotch and, though well-covered, that tends to generate the whole "is it tights or is it leggings" question which then encourages ladies to wear leggings in lieu of pants and I think we can all agree that is never a good thing.
L-R. 1. I love the way he used the very black tights that blend in with the low shoes; it presents a streamlined look without making her feet look big or legs look stumpy. Also like the white mitts: they look punk but fresh at the same time. 2. Print-on-print=awesomeness. Love the bias binding on the dress and the jacket lining. 3. Want. This. Coat. (It is a coat, isn't it? Because there is no earthly way to sit in this without your bootay falling out the bottom.) Can't you imagine this over skinny black pants or a pencil skirt? Love the neckline and the highwaisted belting. Fabulousity. 4. Awesome neckline. The silhouette on this is very simple with only the feathers adding punch, but it's highly effective.

christiandior
Christian Dior: amazing. This Japanese-inspired collection is full of color and incredible origami dresses. L-R. 1. This silhouette is incredible; I love the rethinking of the obi. Also love the colors. 2. Weaving fabric. That's cool. Not sure how I'll use that idea, but I like it. 3. Doesn't this look like a piece of candy? I love the "new look" silhouette that's been updated with the intricate pleating on the skirt. Pleating chiffon would be a pain, but oh-so-worth-it. 4. I like this update to a simple suit: the giant bow. It's not obnoxious, though, because it's the same color as the suit. Also love the purple/lavender colors. Hmmm. Need a dress in those colors, I think.

christianlacroix
Christian Lacroix: mad, mad love. I had trouble picking just four; this was the only collection where I loved almost every piece. I also love the white tights he used. Very fresh and spring-y. L-R. 1. This is the perfect neckline, at least for me. I love the combination of prints and the volume on this look. 2. Puffed sleeves! This shape is very cool, and I like using a strong graphic print. Might have to try to make a spring-weight jacket like this. 3. Ooooooooooo. (I can't really elaborate, as I'm too busy wiping drool off the monitor.) 4. Love the collarless jacket held together with a flower pin. Le sisters--remember those flower pins that were all the rage about 3 winters ago? I think we need to pull them back out.
eliesaab
Elie Saab: meh. Pretty, but meh. Not too inspiring; lots of simple shapes with very heavy being. Pretty, and flattering, but not necessarily pushing the envelope. I had a hard time finding four to post. L-R. 1. Love the lace overlay. Also love the belting around the hips. 2. Ok, so these sleeves? Are officially cool. 3. I've been pondering doing something flamenco inspired involving layers of ruffles, but was scared because of the volume factor. This outfits convinces me I can try. Maybe set the ruffles at more of an angle? 4. Um, this was my "need 4 shots" picture. What was it I liked, again? Oh, right: the beading. Not sure how that will be usable, but it is pretty. Although a beaded tunic....that could be cool. Over slim pants? Hmm...I'm liking this concept.
jeanpaulgaultier
Jean Paul Gaultier: interesting. I liked the strong colors in this collection. L-R. 1. The shape of this outfit is good, but the belt is what makes it amazing. Must try that. 2. Ahhhhhhsome. The shape of the top? Incredible. The color? Perfect. The red shoes? Love it. 3. I like the idea of a tunic over a full skirt. Need to try. 4. I lovelovelove the embroidery on chiffon. The heavy stitchwork becomes ethereal.
valentino
Valentino: ladylike shapes and colors reign supreme. It was almost boring, though. L-R. 1. This looks like it might be a knit, which is awesome. I like the jacket shape, too. 2. Cape+big buttons=coolness! Also LOVE the ballet neckline. 3. This is very...ruffly...but I like little jacket thing. 4. Not sure if is this Star Trek or not, but I love the rolled hem detailing.

There were a couple of shows I don't have pictures from because I only liked one or two things.

Comments

Popular Posts