how to be fabulous while freezing

One of the best things about living in this area (south of the nation's capital) is that the weather is moderated by the water surrounding us on three sides. Therefore the winters don't get very cold; somewhere between 34-44 is usual, and snow is very rare. Basically we have wet, drizzly, miserable winters that nonetheless aren't THAT cold. And I like it. Well, le husband and I must have dragged a cold front back with us from Ohio, because it's been all shivery and generally miserable ever since. So I'm forced, dear readers, to drag out the winter survival tips learned while living in the godforsakenmidwest. (So called by my sister.) 
  • Moisturize. Everywhere, all the time. I've been told that it's better for your skin and doesn't dry it as much if you shower in cool water, but seriously? Not happening. So I compensate by slathering on the cocoa butter. Olive oil is also an amazing moisturizer for both face and body, but it can take a while to soak in completely. 
  • Layer. Besides being fashion forward, layering helps to compensate for the inevitable temperature variations between home/work/the mall/the car. Unbuttoning a cardi or pulling on mitts can quickly turn "miserable" into "perfectly comfy and happy." In addition, layering traps warm air next to your body, keeping you warmer than wearing one big warm piece would. 
  • Wear natural fibers. This is important, especially if you are dressing in layers. Repeat after me: "Cashmere is good. Acrylic is bad." Natural fibers allow your body to breathe, so if you do get overheated, you don't smell like a housebound sheep. My latest obsession has been the need to make a felted cashmere blanket from sweaters picked up at the thrift store, but so far I'm not making much progress on the collection end of things; the only sweaters not claimed and worn are the XXL ones. My sisters and I have succumbed to the lure of the rest. Seriously--if a good cashmere sweater is out of your price range, check the Goodwill. I usually find at least one per trip, maybe more. I even have a cashmere skirt that I planned to cut up into pillow covers, but it's so warm and cozy I haven't yet. 
  • Tall boots are your friend. Strangely, leather (or not-leather if that's what you prefer) blocks wind and nippiness ever so much better than just trouser legs. Note to self: wearing tall leather boots with no tights or socks, with pale, wind-chapped knees poking out over the top, sort of defeats the whole point of boots. Boots and jeans, boots and long skirts, boots and short skirts, boots and tights, flat boots, high-heeled boots--they're all good. Just add a pair of long socks underneath for added warmth and cushioning. 
  • Love your winter accessories. Until I moved to Ohio, I had never worn a scarf as anything other than a fashion statement. Now I have numerous scarves, several pairs of gloves and multiple berets. Statistic that was emblazoned upon my brain as a child: you lose 80% of your body heat through your head. Wearing hats is a super-cute, super-easy way to keep warm. I wear mostly berets, because I look like a cancer patient when  I wear beanies, and I pick them up at thrift stores all the time. (Wash before you wear!) For scarves, I like those pashminas; they're very warm without being bulky, can be tied a myriad of ways, and can be picked up on Ebay for supercheap. (I think I paid $11, including shipping, for all three of mine.) I bought one each in brown, black, and cream, and I can match any coat or outfit. Even a thin leather jacket is warm if you wrap your throat up well. I think I need to get some scarves in bright colors now, because that would add some pop to outfits. Thin leather gloves lined with cashmere are my favorite, but those are super-expensive. Pick something that goes a little past the wrist so there won't be a gap between glove and your coat sleeve. This would be a fab place to add a punch of color, like these gloves from Urban Outfitters. I don't have any suggestions for the wearing of earmuffs, having never worn them. 
  • Enjoy the cold as much as you can. Once Christmas is over, I hate winter. I don't like the cold, the early darkness, and the general ennui that swarms over me. But there are redeeming factors: not having to shave my legs as often, hot tea, curling up next to the fireplace with a good book, knitting madly, layers of clothing to hide the pudge caused by eating christmas chocolate, flannel sheets, Oscar season, stew in the crockpot and snuggling are a few. Besides, there is no better feeling in the world than that of springtime creeping over your world. 
Live beautifully, m'dears!

Comments

Popular Posts