is that wedding music that I hear?

With Christmas proposals over, newly minted finacees are released upon the unsuspecting public and wedding season is accelerating toward its peak. The bridal show yesterday reminded me of the monstrosities my sisters and I wore as bridesmaids, as well as the ones I've photographed, so I'm submitting some suggestions: dresses that are charming, usually flattering, don't scream "bridesmaid" and are under $150. These were all found at Unique Vintage and, while not actual vintage, are vintage-inspired and available in a variety of sizes. That last bit is helpful if you SIMPLY MUST HAVE all your bridesmaids matching exactly. (Note: I have no idea what the quality of these dresses are like. Do any of my loyal readers have experience with this company?)
A halter-neck is one the most universally flattering styles. The full skirt is an excellent disguise for figure flaws, and this dress would look equally flattering with ballet flats or platform pumps. Wouldn't this be fabulous at an outdoor wedding, with the maids all carrying huge bouquets of white hydrangeas? Now I want a wedding to plan.

I love this print, and since it's monochromatic, strong bright flowers would stand out nicely. Strapless can be a bit tricky, but with the right foundation garments it will work on almost anyone. And who WOULDN'T have somewhere else to wear this later in the year?

Ok, so I'm not convinced about the green bobbly things. But the rest of it is so fresh, so bright, so...Hairspray. Um, to me that's a good thing. Perfect for spring, wouldn't you say?

This is very femme fatale, and I'm a tinge concerned about the stretch velvet aspect of things. However, the style is fabulous. Fishtail hem? Draped cowl back? Do I hear a winter wedding in the later afternoon, with metallic sandals, vintage pearls as your bridesmaids gifts, and simple white callas tucked into sleek french twists?

No, it's not a bridesmaid dress. But it's so very fabulously Anthro, at a not-so-Anthro price, that I had to throw it in.
So readers, chime in. What dresses do you wish you could have worn as a bridesmaid? And what not-terrible-but-so-not-you dress did you actually wear?

Comments

Lauryl Lane said…
um... i wore a really lovely gown for my sister's wedding (haven't worn it again yet, but i probably will), but practically every other wedding i've been in has put me in something awful. unflattering and totally not me. if i could do my own wedding again i might not have my bridesmaids match, but it was a formal wedding so the matching ball gowns worked. la de da... i LOVE these gown pix you've posted!

Popular Posts