in search of wise advice

So I'm completely puzzled when it comes to the matter of living room curtains. As you can see from the pictures, the windows are large, but they don't come down terribly far, so I'm not entirely certain what to do. The blinds that are currently on came with the house; we left them so that we have some semblance of privacy. As you can see, however, there's a good 18 inches on either end that is still exposed.
living room, view 2
Please note: the living room is nowhere near decorated yet. I'm still working on getting everything put away and organized before I even begin to tackle the problem of making everything work as a harmonious whole. Everything currently in there is left from the apartment, and was sort of plunked about.
living room, view one
Also note: I'm planning on learning to slipcover, and I'm thinking chocolate brown would be nice. Although I would lovelovelove to do white, I'm not sure how practical that would. However, these pieces don't get nearly as much wear as they used to....maybe I could get away with it?

Comments

lissilulu said…
Hi :o)
Thanks for coming to visit my blog.

I have an idea for your windows.
If you like draping things then you could use sheer fabric so that you still get the light effect.
buy enough sheer fabric to go across the center tying across the top here and there to a curtain rod so it swoops and then let it cascade down the empty sides and puddle on the floor.
Very dramatic but you dont lose the light from the windows. :o)

Hope I explained that well enough.
Anonymous said…
i agree with the previous poster about doing sheers. that room (and those gorgeous blue walls) looks beautiful with all the natural light strewn about.

also, go for the white slipcovers! you don't have any little rugrats around to spill grape juice on them, so why not do it while you still can?
VDOprincess said…
Hmmmm....good thoughts. Do you think having it hang to the floor will be too much, though? I mean, I definitely DON'T like the idea of short curtains, but wasn't sure if long ones would be too....big. Or something.

Also: do you think sheers would give enough privacy that I could take down the (hideous) blinds? Or should I find something else to add as a protective layer?

Also: do you see that dark wood rocker in the left foreground? What do you think about either recovering the upholstered parts in a yellow and white stripe/pattern? Or should I sew a crisp white fitted slipcover?

Keep the ideas coming....
joy said…
Maybe this is a silly idea, bu tmaybe not so do with it what you will.

Since you think the sheers need a little something extra, what if you made your own roller blinds with colorful prints? You would only use the blinds at night, I would assume, so during the day it would be all pristine sheer beauty. It's just at night you would see....colors!

Even if you don't go with colors, you can make your own roller blinds. Mom used to have a million patterns.
Unknown said…
or you could layer sheers ... it would look cool to have a darker color behind a lighter color so that you get different looks depending on whether you pull back the top layer. In my bedroom, I have a layer of knitted curtains and then over those is a layer of sheer curtains (both are dark red - from urban outfitters - one of the best places for curtains, I think).
VDOprincess said…
Oooooo! Layered sheers! Brilliance!

Popular Posts