a bittersweet moment

children's book

Saturday was the last bag day I'll ever attend at the library book sale. I ran over during my lunch break, and limited myself to just one bag because I'm moving, so I have to limit myself somewhere. In that bag were some lovely pieces, though, including this old, battered, but still readable copy of pinnochio. My favorite has to be the book from the forties that contains standards of perfection for fowl. Strange and technical, yes. But also filled with all these awesome full-page plates illustrating the different breeds of chicken, and they're each drawn to look strangely royal. My stepmum collects chickens, so I was thinking about framing up a bunch of them for her, but the chickens are suprisingly beautiful, so I'm going to have a hard time parting with them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
One of my favorite flickr photos is of this rooster. It's entirely the composition since I'm not much of a bird person--the photo is just so well done and he does, in fact, look regal.
joy said…
That's a rooster?
VDOprincess said…
no, m'dear. That's pinocchio. You must have skipped the sentence where I mentioned that.
joy said…
I know, but ambika is referencing roosters and I'm all confused now. It looks like a little boy to ME but what do I know?

Popular Posts