my new favorite room in the whole house

My very own office/workroom.
I'm super excited about this--I haven't had a whole room just for myself since we got married. (Okay, so technically I get the whole house. But you know what I mean.) This room was already my favorite one--all the windows!--but up until now it's had a person living in it; first my BIL, then my sisters-in-law. But now it's my space. Woot! I'm so excited about being able to keep my sewing machine set up, and am trying to carve out some time to work on sewing projects.


So, quick tour. I mean, you can see the whole room (looooove my fisheye), but pointing a couple of things out. Also, a question. 
That green thing on the lower left is the "daybed." We still need to have an extra bed for when we do have guests, so that's staying. I'm going to be adding a ton more throw pillows, though, to make it more couch-like. Crafty books and bits of the fabric collection are in the left bookcase. That is not all of my fabric--not by any stretch of the imagination. I haven't had time to get it all out yet. Those fabrics hanging on hangers are my next sewing project: quilt! There was this awesome quilt in an anthro catalog that I think even I can make: giant squares and rectangles in bright colors. I'm going for a more pink/green/yellow scheme, though. 
My camera stuff is on the right-hand shelf, but that might change. And then my huge, hideous, ginourmous, and very awesome desk where I can spread out all my work is on the right-hand side. You kind of can't see it very well, but trust me: it's heinous. And I love it. (I am the queen of cheap, old, huge desks. In case of a nuclear disaster, I can totally live under them for months.) I think I need to make some sort of slipcover for the desk chair. Something pink and green, maybe? 
The curtains are these five-dollar sets I picked up from Ikea. I can't wait to get more pictures and such up on the walls. We just moved everything together today, so it's not nearly done yet, but I was so excited I had to share. 
Anyway, this is my lovely office space. I must run--we're having friends over tonight, and I must go get the homemade salsa ready to serve. 
Oh--the question. So I want my quilt to have that lovely, used, sun-faded look. Do you think if I throw the fabrics in the washer with some bleach it will do it? Or should I just hang them outside for a few days? Please share, experienced peoples. 

Comments

Sorka said…
WAHH I want a room!! I want a little room that is all my own!
WAh wah.. *falls on the floor kicking and screaming*

Wow.. what a great room.. I can only dream!
sigh
Denise
Toiling Ant said…
Soooooo totally jealous. I have half of the hall coat closet and the adjacent built-in desk. :-P
Lauryl Lane said…
wow, lucky ducky! that is so awesome. that would be my favorite room, too!
Anonymous said…
i popped by to drop things off while she was away and stuck my head in the room to gaze at it's loveliness.

*sigh*

it is even prettier in person that in the picture.

(btw. mum has five biiiig boxes of fabric for you--plus billions of precut quilt squares. i convinced her to pull it out of storage and give it to you.)
fleur_delicious said…
if you want your quilt to "pucker up" after you make it, don't wash those quilting cottons until it's all together and done. And actually, when I gave mine it's first wash as a complete quilt, the colours faded a lot and it came out looking like an heirloom (unexpected and SO cool!). So you might just try washing it, you know? And sure, you could always use some bleach, but do it in little increments - 1/4 c. plus a regular amount of laundry detergent, and don't add your quilt to the machine until it's all full of water, so you don't get concentrated spots of bleach damage!

Popular Posts