ruminations, or, how I love new words!

Confession: I read the dictionary as a child, and I still collect new words with the same alacrity that some people use for the acquisition of collectible plates. I also think slang from other countries is highly superior to that of America. Seriously, which sounds better? "Making out" or "having a good snog?" Exactly; the former sounds like some sort of clincal exercise, the latter like an activity highly conducive to the reduction of stress. (Which it is, I might add.) So when I learned the English word "twee," meaning "overly precious or sweet," I was ecstatic. We really have no good word for that in the American slang lexicon. And when applied to a description of inspire company's wares in this post, it seemed to fit perfectly. They do have some very precious or sweet items. Which isn't a bad thing; it just is. So imagine my dismay when one of her readers pointed out that it can mean "affected." No! That's not what I meant! I meant sweet, charming, precious. Why must people jump to the worst conclusion?

Maybe I should just stick to American slang.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love this new (for me) word! And I really didn't take it as an insult, even when I discovered the other meaning. Thanks so much to linking to my site. And please continue using as much foreign slang as you can dig up...I, for one, will treasure it all.
Anonymous said…
You could always use "scrummy" instead...

Popular Posts