wonderful mind-expandingness

Or something like that. I've recently become addicted to craft lit, which is a literature podcast for crafty types. Fortunately, you don't have to be a crafty type to enjoy it. It's created by a woman named Heather, who seems to be quite addicted to classic books. I'm not sure if it's something she's studied extensively, but she definitely has more than a passing acquaintence with good books, and she shares her excitement with her listeners. For the past few weeks we've been listening to selected short stories (we finished Pride & Prejudice before that), and I'm enjoying listening to stories I've already heard as well as meeting new authors. This week was "The Yellow Wallpaper," and it's fabulously creepy. I've posted a bit of it below, but really, read the whole thing. Or better yet, listen to it over at Craft Lit.

I wish I could get well faster. But I must not think about that. This paper looks to me as if it knew what a vicious influence it had! There is a recurrent spot where the pattern lolls like a broken neck and two bulbous eyes stare at you upside down. I get positively angry with the impertinence of it and the everlastingness. Up and down and sideways they crawl, and those absurd, unblinking eyes are everywhere. There is one place where two breadths didn't match, and the eyes go all up and down the line, one a little higher than the other. I never saw so much expression in an inanimate thing before, and we all know how much expression they have!

Comments

Popular Posts