thrift score

The moving project grinds slowly forward. Well, not-so-slowly, actually. Last night they moved all the living room furniture; tonight it's going to be the beds and the clothes. So we're sleeping over there tonight! I don't want to be at work today; I want to be at home helping to pack.
Anyway, this morning between racing around trying to find boxes in which to pack things (this involved diving into dumpsters while wear a bandanna to cover my unwashed hair) I made it to the thrift stores to look for a new desk. My current one is truly impossible, so I went scouring about and found:
  • a set of four green-striped placemats for $1
  • a pair of green and yellow converse hightops for one of the inlaws, for $2
  • a pair of shoes for another friend, $2
  • a child-sized folding chair, $1
  • a desk, $10. Now, you have to understand: this is one of those monstrosities from the sixties that's big enough to perform surgery. It's beige and metal, with a laminate top. However, it has plenty of filing drawers (which we need) and I say once I spray paint it and cover the top with printed oilcloth, it will be quite lovely. I promise to post pictures.

Comments

Porkchop said…
you disgust me with your resourcefulness. i mean serious, oilcloth?? who would have thought??

you so seriously need to move here. right now. so you can help me finish my house. still haven't finished picking the darn paints.

(please note: "darn" i'm preparing for you moving here and having children here. i promise i won't pollute their tender ears. please?)

Popular Posts