revenge of the wide-legged pants

Don't get me wrong--I love the look of skinny jeans. They're so sleek, so fresh, so Audrey. However, if, like me, you're endowed with any sort of weight on the lower end of the torso, they can be exceedingly difficult to wear. Which is why I'm glad that wide-legged pants are returning.

From left: Dries Van Noten, Emmanuel Ungaro, Hussein Chalayan, Chloe
I love the ease, the classic grace, and the fact that there's absolutely nothing hipster about them (yet). The tricky bit comes when I try to find them in my price range. So far, besides the ever-faithful Ebay, I've found a couple of pairs on Ann Taylor Loft. (I really like the look of those jeans.) I also love these sailor pants from JCrew; fitted in all the right places, but with no pretensions of skinniness. The key to wearing widelegs in the real world, of course, is balancing volume. In the above picture from Dries, I like the idea of wearing a narrow jacket with the full trousers; I think I would have shrunken that blazer even more. I love the bolero from Ungaro. Feminine, striking, beautiful--you can't ask for more. Not as enamored with the cropped trousers from Chloe, except for the fact that it's balanced with a really sexy shoe and feminine blouse. Although I think only Gemma coule pull off that much volume.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The wide-legged pants never left my closet as I've always adored them!
Anonymous said…
Ah, wide legs. They're truly my favorite. Glad to hear you survived Christmas and can't wait to see the wedding photos.

Popular Posts