on the fickle nature of fashion

The Bargain Queen has been running a fabulous series focusing on the fact that fashion icons and trendmakers actually don't follow trends. She uses examples of classic style icons Audrey Hepburn, Diana Vreeland, Jackie Kennedy, and others to point out that the well-dressed actually wear what suits them and many have developed a uniform of sorts. She's right, of course. I started to feel like maybe I should be more consistent, more slimmed-down (in the closet), more refined. But then I realized: I get bored. I love being boho one day, fifties housewife the next. I love layering and wearing bright colors and dressing in all black and throwing on little dresses. I love the adventure of rarely wearing the exact same outfit twice.
I'll be the first to admit that I do have certain patterns, though. I usually have a very similar silhouette: fitted on top, full on the bottom (great for disguising hips). My skirts all end very close to the knee; rarely are they longer or shorter. I wear lots of turtlenecks and boatnecks and almost never crewnecks. I wear either flats or high heels; never any mid-heel heights. So whether I'm boho, grunge, vintage, or punk, I pick the elements of each style that suit me and wear them the way I want to.
I've become much more democratic in matters of fashion. It used to be that if what you had on was "tacky" or "ugly" just plain "out" I would secretly scorn your lack of taste. But honestly? Who decides what's pretty? Or not? If pointy toe shoes make you happy, wear them! If peter pan colors under crewneck sweaters rock your world, go for it! I'll even give you permission to wear floofy jumpers if you want to, just because that's your prerogative. Just make sure that whatever you're wearing is what you love. Be yourself, and let the fashion powers-that-be go jump in a lake. If you're like me, "yourself" is a different person every day. Who cares? But if "yourself" happens to be boring, don't be surprised if I offer you caffeine.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It sounds like you have a really good idea of what suits you, and that's what you wear -- but you find some really interesting ways to mix it up.

Fabulous! Nothing wrong with that! :)

I was just trying to make a point that the people who say "black is out, remove all black from your wardrobe, forthwith" don't change their own look very often. They wear what suits them and stick with it, regardless of what they're telling everyone else to do!
Anonymous said…
I have to say, I think both of these points are great. There are elements that I always fall back on (scoop & v necks, empire waistlines, 3/4 sleeves) and things I'll never wear (turtlenecks, ankle length skirts/dresses) but it's *impossible* not to mix it up every once in a while and throw in something unexpected. It's what makes getting dressed fun & not a chore.
VDOprincess said…
Bargain Queen -- I completely agree with your post! It just started me thinking, that's all. (Especially because I've often LONGED to develop a classic, lovely, signature look but I can't seem to stick with it for long.)

Ambika--when it comes to mixing things up, may I suggest tights in peacock blue? :P

Popular Posts